Information for George Starkey Hut users
this info will be emailed to hut users after booking, together with hut access and key retrieval information. To be used by the group leader to enable shut down.
The Hut is in Patterdale, on the east side of the A592, north of the school and adjacent to the track which crosses the dale to Side Farm. Postcode CA11 0NL, Grid ref NY394161.
Further information is given on this website
Please read all the following notes carefully.
- This is a private hut run and managed jointly by the ABMSAC and AC climbing clubs and operated by volunteers. Other clubs, BMC affiliated and other trusted may book accommodation.
- You are expected to observe high standards of behaviour and housekeeping.
- Your booking is accepted on the basis of trust that you will use the facilities carefully and clean up and close down our hut efficiently before leaving: see 8 point checklist below.
- Please remember that we do not employ cleaning staff. The hut has to be maintained by club members and hut users. Some provisioning is done by the non-resident warden, but the state and cleanliness for arrivals is as left by the previous occupants.
What you need to bring with you:
- SLEEPING BAG, PILLOW CASE, TOWEL, PERSONAL WASH KIT.
- INDOOR FOOTWEAR AND A TORCH.
- Food and drink etc, obviously!
- 28 bunks in 3 dormitories, with 8 bunks reserved for our members.
- The hut kitchen is fully equipped with 2 cookers, 2 microwaves. kitchen crockery, pots, dishes, mugs, utensils, cutlery.
- Consumables: washing up liquid and toilet rolls and all the necessary cleaning equipment are provided.
- Tea towels are provided but please be frugal with them as the Warden has to get them all washed and dried ready for the next group.
- Upstairs, the bunks have wipe-clean mattresses and pillows. There are guard rails and ladders for the upper bunks. A few blankets are also provided.
- Hot water, fuel for the built-in stove in the common room, fire-lighters are provided.
- There are night storage heaters for winter use.
- There is a drying room which has a fan heater, operated by a push button outside the room, an extractor fan, and a dehumidifier to extract damp air from the room. Empty its water container if the warning light on the unit illuminates.
- Hot water is provided by water heaters in the Kitchen and Washrooms and there are electric showers, as well as fan heaters, in both Washrooms.
- Outside, there is a private car park round the back, with a wheelie bin and a bunker for the smokeless fuel.
- SMOKE: either IN OR CLOSE TO THE HUT.
- ALLOW DOGS OR OTHER ANIMALS INTO THE HUT.
- CAMP BEHIND THE HUT.
- MAKE A NOISE OUTSIDE (WE HAVE GOOD NEIGHBOURS).
- LEAVE PERISHABLE FOOD BEHIND.
- ALTER ANY SETTINGS ON STORAGE HEATERS, FIRE ALARMS ETC.
- USE ALL THE TEA-TOWELS. If you need more than 4, bring your own!
- READ THE EMERGENCY FIRE INFO FOUND ON THE HUT NOTICE BOARDS.
- PUT KITCHEN WASTE AND GENERAL REFUSE IN THE WHEELIE BIN BEHIND THE HUT. (COLLECTED MONDAYS).
- RECYCLING, take home, or to the recycling area at the upper far end of Glenridding car park. (no parking charges apply for short visits)
- KEEP THE HUT CLEAN AND TIDY.
- HANG WET TEA-TOWELS UP TO DRY.
- EMPTY THE STOVE ASH PAN FREQUENTLY IF USING THE STOVE, AND KEEP GLASS DOOR CLEAN. (use damp newspaper when stove is cold)
ON ARRIVAL AT THE HUT:
- Please park in our private car park at the rear of the Hut. The front area is not ours, it is for public use, and the School House B&B needs space for their guests.
- To use the key safe on the door, flip lid down from the top, enter the code (if issued to you by the Booking Sec), turn handle and use the (chained) key anticlockwise. Replace key, turn handle and replace cover. It is recommended to put the door ‘on the latch’ (small catch on side of lock) while going in and out.
- Please enter your names in the visitors’ book, as soon as you arrive. Fill in the other details at the end of your stay. Unless prepaid, Hut Fees should be placed in the envelopes provided and posted in the safe, located by the men’s washroom. (When the new online payment system is operational, the safe will be removed)
- If bringing children (under 18 yrs), state in the signing-in book the name of the adult who is responsible for the children.
- Turn on the water, if not already on, at the main stop-cock in the cupboard under the left-hand kitchen sink unit.
- Switch on the water heaters in the kitchen and the water heaters in both washrooms.
- Switch on one or both of the fridges.
BEFORE LEAVING THE HUT:
- Upstairs: Vacuum floors if necessary, close windows, empty waste bins, leave tidy.
- Sweep stairs.
- Kitchen: Switch appliances off, tidy and clean as necessary, sweep and mop floors, leave fridges open and switched off. Empty bins. Remove any items for recycling. Switch off water heaters. Leave stop-cock on unless outside temperatures are likely to be sub zero for several days.
- Washrooms: Clean showers, basins, toilets, floors as necessary. Empty waste bins. Switch off water heaters.
- Drying room and entrance: Switch off fan heater and extractor fan, empty dehumidifier. Sweep floors. Shake out mats.
- Lounge: Tidy up. Sweep and vacuum as required. Clean out ash from stove (into bin or deposit at far side of car park). Refill ‘coal’ buckets.
- Note any hut problems or shortages in Hut Maintenance Book.
- Make sure all windows closed and appliances, lights etc switched off (except night storage heaters in winter).
- If you have not pre-paid, then either put money/cheque in safe or pay online when safe is removed and online pay system is operational.
- Return key to wherever you obtained it.
- Check you have collected all your belongings and lock up.
Hut Warden: Marian Parsons